I'm traveling shortly to the University of Kansas, where I am very honored to be one of the special guests of the 2006 Campbell Conference and Awards Banquet, held this year from July 6th to 9th. I'll be sitting in on the last days of their writer's workshop, and will be one of two speakers giving the keynote address (the other being George Zebrowski) on the state of the science fiction novel, and taking part at the bookstore signing at Oread Bookstore as well. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.
The Schedule of Events:
Thursday, July 6, 7:30 pm, Alderson Auditorium
• Lou Anders and George Zebrowski present on the state of the science-fiction novel.
Friday, July 7, 10:00 am, First Floor Lobby of Ellsworth Hall
• Interviews with our special guests.
Friday, July 7, 6:00 pm, Kansas Room, KU Memorial Union
• Awards banquet for John W. Campbell Award for best science fiction novel of the year and the Theodore Sturgeon Award for best short science fiction of the year.
• Informal off-campus reception to follow.
Saturday, July 8, 9:00 am, Malott Room, KU Memorial Union
• Round-table Campbell Conference discussion.
Saturday Lunch, KU Memorial Union
• Registered Conference attendees receive an informal, complimentary lunch.
Saturday, July 8, 12:45 pm, Oread Bookstore, KU Memorial Union
• Mass signing by special guests.
Saturday, July 8, 2:00 pm, 100 Smith Hall
• Interviews and talks with our special guests.
• John Ordover presents about the current state of the science-fiction novel.
• Informal off-campus reception in the evening.
Sunday, July 9, 9:00 am, First Floor Lobby of Ellsworth Hall
• Meet the award winners and other attending guests!