Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Lou Round the Web (Lou Con Smash)

Two items of possible interest:

My review of Neil Gaiman's Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?deluxe edition hardcover is up at Tor.com. The short of it: I wasn't sure if I liked it while reading it, but realized in retrospect that it moved me emotionally much more than I realized. Overall, positive. And it's utterly gorgeous.

Meanwhile, over at SF Signal, the latest Mind Meld asks the question, "What are the lessons that Comic-Con and Worldcon can learn from the other? Is there in fact a generational migration of professionals and fans that are choosing to attend large, catch-all media cons like SDCC instead of Worldcon, and if so, why?" Some very provocative responses.

5 comments:

Shadowhelm said...

I thought it was a great Batman story especially coming off the mess that was RIP and Final Crisis. For some reason it didn't really resonate with me though. Maybe it was because of how poorly handled the "death" of Bruce Wayne end up being. I think Gaiman's story would have worked better if Morrison's work had succeeded first.

As a stand-alone Batman story, however, it was excellent.

Nice meeting you last weekend by the way.

Arctic Goddess said...

I love your "Loucon" comments. Now, hopefully, someone out there will pay attention and take advantage of the free advice. You were bang on with everything you said about Comic con. It's success is it's biggest disadvantage.

Patricia

Lou Anders said...

Shadowhelm - good to meet you as well. And I think your assessment on Gaiman following Morrison is correct.

Arctic Goddess - thank you. I've just returned from DragonCon, where there were a great many publishing professionals and writers, and the Comiccon/WorldCon debate was much discussed. Found many Lou Con sympathizers too.

Lou Anders said...

Shadowhelm - good to meet you as well. And I think your assessment on Gaiman following Morrison is correct.

Arctic Goddess - thank you. I've just returned from DragonCon, where there were a great many publishing professionals and writers, and the Comiccon/WorldCon debate was much discussed. Found many Lou Con sympathizers too.

Gary Farber said...

Very nice Batman review.

If you care about typos, you might want to fix this one: "The two hardcovers are a beautiful compliment to each other...."

If you don't care, please forgive my calling it to your attention.