Friday, February 12, 2010

Mark Chadbourn's The Silver Skull

Working on catalog copy for Fall-Winter 2010-11 now, while the snow falls outside my window. This includes copy for the next Swords of Albion book, The Scar-Crow Men, so I'm rounding up reviews of the previous The Silver Skull.This is by no means all, just the one's I'm pulling for today. Really, skimming the below response, how can you not want to read this book?

“In a year of outstanding fantasies, The Silver Skull may just be one of the best so far.” Monsters and Critics

"Fantastic—keeper" 4 12/ stars RT Book Reviews

“…one of the funnest books we have read. Period. Imagine a James Bond story, but way more awesome, set in an alternate Elizabethan England. This is what you get in this book…. The Silver Skull reads at breakneck speed and never relents.” Elitist Book Reviews

“Smart, fun, at times surprisingly moving, and occasionally downright shocking, The Silver Skull is impossible to put down.” Realms of Fantasy

“There are times when you read a book that’s so amazing to you that you feel the author had you personally in mind when they wrote it, that’s exactly how I feel about Mark Chadbourn’s The Silver Skull. ….This is a must-read, and is my favorite book so far this year.” Fantasy Literature

10 comments:

Jayf said...

I am definitely going to pick up Silver Skull, it looks and sounds like a terrific read.

Lou Anders said...

Great! Please come back here and let me know what you think.

NewGuyDave said...

I think I'll start here with Chadbourn since I'm not much for modern settings. The Age of Missrule sounds interesting enough, but I prefer period fantasy.

Yesterday, I picked up Before They Are Hanged at B&N since I'm almost done The Blade Itself. Must keep reading.

But first back to drafting Haldren's Fury.

Lou Anders said...

Good luck with the Fury then!

Jayf said...

Picked it up this weekend and I'll keep you posted on my progress. I love the set up in the first chapter, author does great job of creating an air of the ambiance of the period.

Lou Anders said...

Isn't that first chapter totally filmic? The lights in the water...

Tom said...

I am reading "Silver Skull" and enjoying it. Picked up "Age of Misrule" to try it.

Tom

Lou Anders said...

Awesome. It's a very different book/series, but it does tie in.

Justin Blazier said...

I loved this book. I was very happy to review this one for Fantasyliterature.com. I had read a lot of good books last year, and Mark's was an easy choice as my favorite. I really need to read his other books. I haven't even gotten a chance to pick up the Age of Misrule books yet, and the new ones are coming out in a few months. I hear The Silver Skull sequel is well underway, very excited to find out what happens next.

*having troubles posting comments (I think Blogger secretly hates me), I apologize in advance if you get 50 posts from me that suddenly appear out of nowhere.*

Lou Anders said...

Only one post - and a welcome one. Mark is really special. I have to wait several more months to find out what happens next and it's killing me!