Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Free Fiction: "A Book of Silences" by James Enge

April will see the release of James Enge's swords & sorcery novel, Blood of Ambrose,an epic work featuring Morlock Ambrosius, wandering swordsman and master of all magical makers. The book is a stand-alone adventure, but Morlock returns in the (already-delivered) follow-up, This Crooked Way, and we've just signed for a third Morlock novel, the wonderfully-titled The Wolf Age. But Morlock Ambrosius already has a significant following, as Enge has been chronicling his adventures in short fiction for some time prior to his novel debut. One such tale,"A Book of Silences," first appeared in the pages of Black Gate magazine. We are pleased to reprint it in its entirety at the Pyr Sample Chapters page. What's more, we will shortly be presenting "Fire and Sleet," which follows directly on the events of "A Book of Silences" and is an original novelette that will debut at the Pyr website for the first time anywhere. So, read and enjoy!

6 comments:

ces said...

Well, I just might have to read this book. But I am not going to read the sample chapter (much as I'd like to). Why? Well, suppose I didn't like it particularly - then I wouldn't read the book, & the rest of the book may be wonderful. And suppose I thought the sample chapter was wonderful & so bought the book & found it to be as likable as the sample chapter.

So, I'll wait for the book.

And I still don't like that spot of red (even though red is my favourite colour) - my eye just goes there immediately, and the rest of the cover, especially the sky & city in the background, is so wonderful & eery * intriguing.

Lou Anders said...

Ah, but this isn't a sample chapter. This is a stand alone short story not found in the book. I suppose, though, you could read the book first, and then, if you liked it, come back and read this and the original novelette we'll be putting up soon.

ces said...

Ah, ok, I got confused because it was in the Pyr Sample Chapters Page. So, I'll read it. Thanks!

Lou Anders said...

If you look in the right hand margin and scroll down, there are several short stories there. They serve as samples of the writers work, if not specific books.

Rene Sears said...

Excellent! Thank you for posting this. I'm very excited about "Fire and Sleet," as well. Something to tide us over until April. :)

Lou Anders said...

Formatting it now...