Friday, June 26, 2009

A Thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever

By which I mean my copies of Desolation Roadjust arrived.


This is, btw, our 66th title. The description: It all began 30 years ago on Mars, with a greenperson. But by the time it all finished, the town of Desolation Road had experienced every conceivable abnormality from Adam Black's Wonderful Travelling Chataqua and Educational Stravaganza (complete with its very own captive angel) to the Astounding Tatterdemalion Air Bazaar. It's inhabitants ranged from Dr. Alimantando, the town's founder and resident genius, to the Babooshka, a barren grandmother who just wants her own child grown in a fruit jar; from Rajendra Das, mechanical hobo who has a mystical way with machines to the Gallacelli brothers, identical triplets who fell in love with and married the same woman.

11 comments:

ces said...

Just got email from amazon that my copy has shipped! should arrive Monday since they don't deliver on Saturday. I am waiting. Somewhat patiently.

Lou Anders said...

It really really came out of the oven well!

Justin Steiner said...

That's a must read.

Lou Anders said...

I would say so. But then, I would say so.

ces said...

IT'S HERE!

And it's even better live, up close, & personal than in Paint Shop Pro!

Lou, you & Stephan & Jacqueline & Pyr should (rightfully) be very proud of this book!

Now, the real question - should I continue knitting my sweater or should I spend the next 5-1/2 hours reading?

Lou Anders said...

You know the answer!!!

(And yeah, I can't believe how it positively glows.)

Rene Sears said...

What a gorgeous cover! Can't wait to read this one.

ces, www.levenger.com makes a weighted leather bookmark that will hold your book open while you knit so you don't have to choose. :)

ces said...

The book is read! Wonderful! I was totally engaged after the first few pages. The characters are totally believable. This is one I'll re-read again & again, I am sure.

Rene, thanks for the bookmark tip. The only problem is I can't keep my eyes on my knitting & my eyes on the book at the same time - of course, if I had 4 eyes . . .

Lou Anders said...

Rene, does it hurt the spine of the book?
Christine, and to think this was his first novel!

ces said...

Desolation Road was his first novel??? OMG. Amazing.

Well, tomorrow I will start Jay Lake's new book GREEN. Today was spent in downtown Seattle - haircut, lunch w/hubby, & wandering. Tomorrow it will be too hot to do anything but read.

Lou Anders said...

Yup