Monday, December 07, 2009

The Clockwork Jungle Book (Shimmer Issue #11)

For someone who averages one story every four years, I've produced a LOT of fiction this year. I wrote a piece for a Solaris anthology that, unfortunately, was scraped in the change of ownership, and a piece I wrote years ago with Chris Roberson just surfaced in Dave Hutchinson's Under the Rose.I knocked out a sword & sorcery story after being inspired by my forthcoming anthology(just for myself, you understand, though I "have plans" for both it and sequels). I even managed to complete 50,000 words of NaNoWriMo, and then, there's this:


Welcome to the Clockwork Jungle Book: our collection of twenty fabulous steampunk animal tales. We’ve got an origin story from Jay Lake, and a tale of the end of the world from Sara Genge. Stories set in London, China, Alabama, Castle Frankenstein, and the moon. We’ve got snakes and dinosaurs, elephants and wolves, bees and fish, birds and goats, and yes, even a monkey or two.

"And How His Audit Stands" is my steampunk western contribution to Shimmer magazine's 11th issue, The Clockwork Jungle Book. Featuring tales by Jay Lake, Blake Hutchins, Jess Nevins, Shweta Narayan, Marissa Lingen, Vince Pendergast, Susannah Mandel, James Maxey, Gwynne Garfinkle, James L Cambias, Genevieve Valentine, Sara Genge, Barbara A Barnett, Amal El-Mohtar, Chris Roberson, Rajan Khanna, Peter M Ball, Alethea Kontis, Caleb Wilson and Yours Truly. Very proud to be in their number. And they even ran an interview with me on my author page.

5 comments:

ces said...

This looks very interesting! Congrats on having a story in it too!

Who did the cover artwork? And do you have a larger version you can post?

Lou Anders said...

The art director is Stephen Stanley. I have asked for a bigger image. Bill Stoneham did a marvelous interior for my story.

ces said...

Thank you!

I just ordered it. Even the image on their website is not much bigger.

Lou Anders said...

Thank you! I am really curious about Chris Roberson's contribution.

ces said...

Book arrived 10:30 am today! The cover artist is Andrew Chase.

Haven't started reading it yet though - spent the day fixing up everything that yesterday's WOW patch messed-up (while listening to "how the grinch stole Christmas" in audiobook form - to erase the WOW grumpies).