Thursday, December 17, 2009

Stranger than Fiction: Technology And Science Fiction

I'm interviewed today at System-Level Design Community, by the very nice John Blyler, who I got to spend some time with recently in Portland, Oregan at the recent OryCon. We talk about science fiction's role in inspiring science, the effect science developments has on the genre, gaming, the Matrix trilogies, and genetic engineering. It was a long conversation, so he is condensing and paraphrasing some of what I said, but doing a good job of capturing a highly-caffeinated Lou and making sense of it.

Still, I'm pretty sure I never said this bit, (but I wish I had):
Anders: Maybe, but maybe not. Remember the quote by John Schaar: "The future is not a result of choices among alternative paths offered by the present, but a place that is created—created first in the mind and will, created next in activity. The future is not some place we are going to, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made, and the activity of making them, changes both the maker and the destination."
I think he's misremembering when I quoted something I got from Robert Anton Wilson: "The future begins first in imagination, then in will, then in reality." But I like this quote above, and now I've seen myself "say" it, I'll start using it more, retroactively authenticating this usage here. (Nice one that, huh?)

We also talk some about David Louis Edelman's Jump 225 trilogy, (affording me the opportunity to try out the new integration of Amazon Associates and Blogger). Meanwhile, John was a great guy and I wish we'd had time to talk longer than we did.

5 comments:

Joel Bass said...

I also have my doubts that you credited the invention of the cyberpunk movement to "Bruce Sterling and William Bison." Great interview, though.

David Louis Edelman said...

You never heard of William Bison? He wrote "Oxromancer."

<ducks to avoid flying objects aimed at head>

Lou Anders said...

Bill Bison is a great name though.

Arctic Goddess said...

Very nice interview and an awesome quote. You really are a clever dick...er...Lou. :)

Patricia

John Blyler said...

Dead right, Lou, about the quote. Here's what I transcribed from our talk:
[Lou] "Who was it who said; “The future begins first in the imagination, then in will, then in reality?” If you can’t imagine it, you can not build it."

I was trying to find the author of that quote, which I thought might be John Schaar. I scribbled as much in my story before checking with you and sent it off the copy edit. I returned from travel to find the article online and the quote "misquoted." My mistake, no one else’s. Sorry about that.

Did really enjoy our chat, though! Will post a couple more videos clips before Christmas. Cheers. - John