Friday, February 29, 2008

Cornell Gets Some Culture

Here's a bit of very exciting news. My friend, author, comic book scribe and Hugo-nominated Doctor Who series writer Paul Cornell reports, "I've been commissioned to adapt Iain M. Banks' novella 'The State of the Art', from the collection of the same name, into a play for broadcast on BBC Radio 4 later this year. My producer is the wonderful Nadia Molinari, and we're looking to keep all the SF goodness of the original. I'm enjoying how serious and thoughtful the brief is. The story is about Banks' spaceborne utopian civilisation, the Culture, encountering Earth. Some interesting casting of a Ship voice ahead, I should think, and who should be Diziet Sma? I'm anticipating the process hugely."

Paul is also launching this Marvel title, taking up the reigns on my favorite Marvel character after the web slinger, Captain Britain, who meets up with MI-13 of Paul's recent Wisdom mini-series.

Now, how cool is that?

4 comments:

Paul Cornell said...

Thanks for the PR, Lou. I need you around in real life.

Justin Steiner said...

I think I need to track down the Wisdom trade.

Lou Anders said...

I would highly recommend it, and everything else Paul has ever touched. His story for FF2 is going to blow everyone away...

Paul Cornell said...

Everything I've *touched*? Well, I'm looking forward to *that* list. But I wouldn't want everyone to take Lou up on those recommendations. At least not at once.