Monday, May 26, 2008

A sly variation on the traditional cyberpunk novel...

Publishers Weekly on David Louis Edelman's forthcoming MultiReal.The bold emphasis is mine:

A sly variation on the traditional cyberpunk novel, Edelman's sequel to 2006's Infoquake views a stunning new technology through the eyes of the cutthroat executives vying to market it. MultiReal, a reality-altering tool combining biological programming and quantum physics, threatens to plunge a far-future world into chaos, but before it can penetrate the furthest reaches of society, Natch, an entrepreneur and rebel, must find a way to market and distribute it. He faces tremendous resistance from legislative bodies, competing business concerns and the ominous black code embedded in the mechanisms that enhance his body. Edelman brings fresh air to the technological thriller, but his characters remain somewhat anemic and caricatured, particularly Jara, Natch's second-in-command. MultiReal itself is firmly established as one of the most fascinating singularity technologies in years, and the inconclusive feel of this installment will build anticipation for the third Jump 225 book.


2 comments:

ces said...

I thought I ordered Infoquake - but it isn't in my "to read" pile & I can't find it on my shelves. So now I need to order 2 books! When is the 3rd book coming out?

BTW - Son of Man arrived this weekend, so it's in my stack. Need to finish Elric, Stealer of Souls first - it got derailed by a Neil Gaiman book.

Christine

Lou Anders said...

Well, Geosynchron will come out when Edelman finishes it! Dave is slow. But I'm hoping to have it out Fall 09 knock on wood.

Let me know how you find both the Silverberg and the Moorcock.