Thursday, November 11, 2010

We Always Knew Planets Didn’t Explode on Their Own

Superman: Earth OneAfter an incredibly long hiatus, I've posted my first piece at Tor.com since March 2010. "We Always Knew Planets Didn’t Explode on Their Own" is my review of J. Michael Straczynski's Superman: Earth One, an original graphic novel that re-imagines the origin of Superman by taking a very different slant on the destruction of Krypton from anything we've seen before.

One thing I couldn't include in the review, but which I got a kick out of. The villain is named Tyrell, looks like Rutger Hauer, and paints his face not unlike Daryl Hannah in a certain film. Also, the nature and weapons of the villains seemed to me reminiscent of aspects of the last two Star Trek films. None of this is criticism. It's just fun to spot the seams and influences.

No comments: