Friday, December 31, 2010

Fairwell to the 00's

Masked
Swords & Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery2010 was a spectacular year. Pyr books, the science fiction and fantasy imprint for which I serve as Editorial Director, turned five years old in March, and we published our 100th title in October. We made a strong push into ebooks, and made our first significant forays into new-for-us subgenres, with several strong vampire, steampunk, and urban fantasy titles. We also acquired our first young adult titles (about which more later). We exhibited at DragonCon for the first time, to an overwhelming response, and our 2010 offerings are currently showing up on a multitude of Best of the Year lists. I was nominated for my fourth Hugo award for Best Editor Long Form as well as nominated for my third Chesley award for Best Art Director. I also edited two anthologies--Masked, a comic book themed anthology editor for Gallery Books and Swords & Dark Magic, a sword and sorcery anthology co-edited with Jonathan Strahan for Eos books (currently itself showing up on several Best of the Year lists). I even managed to get some personal writing in, completing both a 10,000 word novelette and, more significantly, writing my first ever novel. Previously, I've written a handful of screenplays and teleplays (several of them optioned), a half dozen stage plays (all of them performed in Chicago in the early 90s), and over 500 pieces of professional journalism and a Making of book, but this was my first ever fiction novel, so I'm damn proud. All in all, not a bad year. So long, 2010!

No comments: