Thursday, December 13, 2007

Three Hundred and Sixty

Once in another time and place, when I was particularly angry at the ignorance and unfairness of someone I worked for, a particularly wise flower child that it was my privilege to know saw the obvious frustration on my face. This gentle soul held his arms out at his sides and, when he was sure of my attention, turned a full, slow circle.

"Three hundred and sixty," he said, when he came round to face me again.

"What?" I asked, bewildered.

"Degrees," he replied with a soft smile. "Any direction you want. Any time. You can go right now. Leave from right here. Nothing's keeping you that isn't in your mind."

Thanks, man. That was a moment.

1 comment:

Shaun Farrell said...

I've been doing some similar exercises this month. This sounds pretty silly, but repeating the word tranquility, slowly, softly, with your eyes closed and your mind clear, has a powerful impact on the psyche. It worked for me this morning when I was feeling quite overwhelmed.